Streamlining data management in mineral exploration
As an Exploration Manager, you know that the success of your drill programs depends on your ability to make data-driven decisions. But if your data management processes are cumbersome and time-consuming, it can be a struggle to get the insights you need in a timely manner.
The Challenges of Traditional Data Management in Exploration
For many exploration companies, data management is still rooted in paper-based systems that are inefficient and require huge amounts of manual data manipulation. Geologists often spend hours each day compiling data, interpreting handwritten plods, and transferring data into spreadsheets or databases. Not only is this time-consuming, but it also takes geologists away from the important work of interpreting data and making critical decisions about the direction of the drill program.
In addition to being inefficient, traditional data management systems often provide little to no insight into what direction the drill program should take next, and they lack transparency between drilling companies and miners. This can lead to misunderstandings and disputes that can delay or even derail the drill program.
The Benefits of Modern Mineral Exploration Software
To overcome these challenges, many exploration companies are turning to modern mineral exploration software. These cloud-based solutions offer a range of benefits, including:
- Faster access to data: With modern software, it's possible to instantly import plod and cost data from any drilling contractor and standardise it according to your needs. This means that, instead of manually transferring data into spreadsheets, you can spend your time interpreting the data.
- Improved visibility into costs and budget: Modern software can provide complete visibility into your drilling costs, including daily drill reports, cost per metre, and penetration rate. This allows you to keep track of your budget and make better decisions about where to allocate your resources.
- Agile methodology for drilling campaigns: Agile methodology is a project management approach that involves breaking down work into short, iterative cycles. This approach allows for flexibility and rapid adaptation based on the insights and learnings gained during each cycle. In exploration, agile methodology helps managers plan and execute drilling campaigns that are geology-led based on the assay results from previous rounds of drilling. This is a more cost-effective approach to drill program design because it directs cash toward holes with the best prospects.
- Enhanced sample tracking and turnaround: With modern software, exploration teams can track every sample from the core yard to the lab, and even receive results, in real-time. This allows for faster sample turnaround and better decision-making based on the most up-to-date data.
- Automated invoicing and reconciliation: Modern software can automate the invoicing process, making it easier to track costs and ensure that invoices from drill contractors are accurate. This can save time and reduce the risk of disputes.
How Drill Program Management Software Can Help
Drill program management software can help streamline data management in exploration in several ways. One of the main benefits is the ability to integrate all data in one place, making it easier to access and analyze. This type of software also allows for customised data capture and analysis, enabling exploration teams to tailor the software to their specific needs and requirements.
In addition to improving data management, drill program management software can facilitate collaboration between team members, making it easier to share information and work together. By streamlining data management, this type of software can also increase efficiency and reduce resource wastage, helping exploration companies drill on time and on budget.
Choosing the Right Mineral Exploration Software
When it comes to selecting mineral exploration software, there are several factors to consider. One of the most important is the size and complexity of your operations. Choose software that is appropriate for your needs, rather than something too complex or too basic. It's also essential to look for software with a strong track record in the industry, as this is a good indicator of its reliability and effectiveness.
Another important consideration is the flexibility of the software. Choose a solution that is capable of growing with your business and adapting to changing needs over time. Finally, make sure the software is user-friendly and easy to implement, as this will help ensure its successful adoption by your team.
If you’re looking to streamline your exploration data CorePlan’s Exploration Hub is cloud based platform used by exploration teams at the majors, mid tiers and juniors to run their exploration drill programs. CorePlan is not a database but instead works hand in hand with your database software. Request a demo of the product here.
More from our blog
CorePlan is a cloud based operations platform that help people in mining work better together.
Exploration teams at Mining Companies (and Exploration companies) use CorePlan's Exploration Hub to plan, run and manage their drill programs.
Drilling Contractors use CorePlan's Drilling Hub to capture data from the field, share the data with their clients (which happen to be exploration companies and mining companies) and then invoice them.
As a modern SaaS platform you are able to easily subscribe and get started in a matter of days.